Are these scrapers of some kind?

by Jake Angelo
(High Island, TX USA)

Scrapers ?

Scrapers ?

I found a couple of these hand tools that I have no idea what they are or what they do. (Photo attached).

They have a rounded wooden handle the size of a large screwdriver handle or awl, have a beveled triangle blade about 2-1/2" per side and attached flat onto the end of the handle shaft.

If you can provide any guidance as to what this critter is or what it does I would appreciate it.

Comments for Are these scrapers of some kind?

Average Rating starstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Jan 16, 2011
Yes - Wood Scrapers
by: Dan Andrews

They are scrapers. They are used to scrape wood smooth after sawing or milling. They are used to get into tight spots and irregular surfaces like moldings. Since most of us use high speed power tools like routers which leave a fairly smooth surface, or we use sandpaper, scrapers are not used a whole lot these days. They do however work great for refinishing work. They also have some value to hand tool woodworkers.

Dec 11, 2010
by: D Browne

Hard to be sure, the picture needs to be larger. I think they may be glazing tools, for removing old putty from wood frame windows.There is also a slim possibility they may have been used in wooden boat restoration, but I'd go with the 1st bet. I recall something like that in my dad's shop years ago...

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Antique Woodworking Tool Photos.



More Old Woodworking Tool Links

  • Delta Woodworking Tools
  • Craftsman Woodworking Tools
  • Rockwell Woodworking Tools
  • Oliver Woodworking Tools
  • Boice Crane Woodworking Tools
  • Walker Turner Woodworking Tools

Delta Tool Parts for Sale

Delta Table Saw Parts
Delta Band Saw Parts
Delta Scroll Saw Parts
Delta Jointer Parts
Delta Shaper Parts
Delta Disc Sander Parts
Delta Belt Sander Parts
Delta Wood Lathe Parts