Help identifying this tool? possible nail puller?

by Nita

Nail Puller?

Nail Puller?

This tool is made of cast iron or steel. On the side it says "Made in U.S.A." and on the other side it says "Standard Hardware Co." The small handle by the 'claw' opens and closes the claw thingy. The other end has a handle that extends from 18" to about 22.5" like maybe you could use it to slam the claw into wood to grab a nail? I can't get it to do anything like that; can't figure out what it would be used for. Any help on its use or age would be great.

Comments for Help identifying this tool? possible nail puller?

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Apr 19, 2011
Its a Crescent Impact Nail Puller
by: Don Trigg

An old time tool that's crude, but effective. Its handle incorporates a sliding weight like the one on a dent puller. Set the jaws on either side of a nail head and smack the weight against it. Impact forces the pointed jaws to dig in around the nailhead and pinch it tight. Rock the tool back onto the jaw's extended foot, and lever the nail out. Leaves a bit of a mark, but by golly it gets the job done.

Mar 20, 2011
It's a nail puller
by: mike foley

It's just an early version of what we call the Cooper 56 now, which is based on about 100 years of nail puller design.

Check out the Nail Jack, the Paslode Eagle Claw or the Extractor for where we've gone from there.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Antique Woodworking Tool Photos.



More Old Woodworking Tool Links

  • Delta Woodworking Tools
  • Craftsman Woodworking Tools
  • Rockwell Woodworking Tools
  • Oliver Woodworking Tools
  • Boice Crane Woodworking Tools
  • Walker Turner Woodworking Tools

Delta Tool Parts for Sale

Delta Table Saw Parts
Delta Band Saw Parts
Delta Scroll Saw Parts
Delta Jointer Parts
Delta Shaper Parts
Delta Disc Sander Parts
Delta Belt Sander Parts
Delta Wood Lathe Parts