Unknown..trying to find info

by Arnold

Hi,I am trying to find some info about this old tool.I am not sure if it is an antique..but its old I can say that much.As you see in the photo ,it has a long (over a foot) curved sharp..almost razor sharp blade,with handles on each end ,held in place by wingnuts.If anyone knows what this tool is called, I would appreciate the name for it.It looks like its for shaving wood to me..maybe rough wood.Thanks for any info to id it.I can be reached at soib45@gmail.com

Comments for Unknown..trying to find info

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

May 07, 2011
Unknown..trying to find info
by: Anonymous

You have a folding draw knife. Is 12 inches the over all length, or the blade length? The most common blade length is 8 inches.

The handles fold in to protect the blade when it is stashed in a tool box. A very common carpenter's tool, and not restricted to any specialized wood working trade.

Oct 09, 2010
It is a folding handle draw knife
by: DaveP

type "draw knife" into search on ebay and you'll see several for sale. Most don't have folding handles though. They're used for planing wood down quickly, especially spindles for chairs. They were typically used with a "shaving horse", which is a bench that the woodworker sat on, straddling one end and he clamped the workpiece on the other end in a vice sort of thing that was operated by foot pedal pressure. The woodworker would pull his draw knife across the top of the workpiece toward himself. You'll find videos of people using them on YouTube. Roy Underhill uses one frequently on the PBS series, "The Woodwright's Shop".

Apr 27, 2010
Trimming tool for hourses hooves
by: Anonymous

I seem to remember seeing, as a child, such a tool used to trim a horse's hoof before reshoeing it.

Nov 29, 2008
by: Anonymous

I wouldn't call it a spoke-shave unless it had a fixed blade like a plane. (I might be wrong on that, but that's what I would do...) I would call it an adjustable handle draw-knife. The adjustable handles and curved blade give more choice to the angle of the draw. My guess is that this kind of draw-knife would have been popular with oak barrel makers who would be working with green wood.

Sep 07, 2008
Old Tool ?
by: Bill in Houston

Yes, it probably is an old tool, but it doesn't have to be. You can still buy a "spokeshave" in one of today's woodworking specialty shops. It is, as you say, for shaving wood by hand,usually to make it into posts, spindles or columns.

Houston, TX

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Antique Woodworking Tool Photos.



More Old Woodworking Tool Links

  • Delta Woodworking Tools
  • Craftsman Woodworking Tools
  • Rockwell Woodworking Tools
  • Oliver Woodworking Tools
  • Boice Crane Woodworking Tools
  • Walker Turner Woodworking Tools

Delta Tool Parts for Sale

Delta Table Saw Parts
Delta Band Saw Parts
Delta Scroll Saw Parts
Delta Jointer Parts
Delta Shaper Parts
Delta Disc Sander Parts
Delta Belt Sander Parts
Delta Wood Lathe Parts